Living in the South

Life in the South

Thursday, September 29, 2011

I've Got The Music In Me!!

(Writer/Recording Artist Tim Bloodworth and Nanette)


I'VE GOT THE MUSIC IN ME!!  Remember as a teenager and young person how important music was to your life?  Music was a HUGE part of my life.  I sang in the church choir from the time I was fourteen and I played flute in the band from the age of 10.  From my earliest memories music was a part of my life.  My first favorite song was I Wanna Hold Your Hand.  I don't know what year it came out, but, I couldn't have been very old.  I was born in 1961.  After that it was Hey, Hey, We're the Monkeys!!!!  Not too long after that I was begging Mama to buy Tiger Beat Magazines for me so I could read all about David Cassidy, The Jackson's and other various pop stars at the time.  Whatever my parents listened to I knew all the words.  Whether it was Charlie Rich, Anne Murray, Johnny Paycheck, or Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass I was listening and I knew all the words to all the songs.  I remember being 10 years old on the school bus and all the older kids would get me to sing Jeremiah Was A Bull Frog.  I was the little kid always singing my heart out.  I graduated high school in 1979 and it seemed that every song on the radio touched me personally.  I can remember singing Dancing Queen as I was getting ready for Prom.  Reunited was just perfect whenever my boyfriend and I would have a little break up.  And who could forget PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC WHITE BOY!!  Wow!!  I love 70's & 80's music and still remember most all the words to most all the songs.  Even my 23 year old daughter absolutely loves 80's music.  We love to Karaoke and sing music from the 80's.

Sometime during the late 80's or early 90's I forgot about music.  I don't know when or how it happened, but I know for a fact it happened.  One day I turned on the radio and I didn't know any of the words or any of the songs except oldies.  I didn't even have a desire to learn the words to the songs.  I was no longer involved in church so there was no choir to sing in.  I had no desire to purchase albums.... I was dead musically....

That's what work, kids, divorce, hard times and just plain life will do to you if you let it!!  As a teenager and during my twenties I really listened to music and I learned the words and I let them soothe me through life's ups and downs.  Why I stopped doing that I do not know for sure.  I do know if I had it to do over again I would NEVER let the music stop in my life!!

I've got the music in me again and it's never going away!!  I'm playing catch up on learning thousands of songs that I've missed during the past 20 years.  This time last year I tried Karaoke for the first time and for those that know me..... I LOVE IT!!  Don't believe it.... catch the Butch and Blondie Karaoke Show at Hide Away in Elkton, TN every Friday and Saturday night!!  Also, I have another involvement in music that I'm keeping to myself right now!!  Just don't be surprised if you see me sitting in the audience at the County Music Awards in a year or two or three!!  Thank you, you guys are great!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! And you're soo right about letting life get in the way of things.

    Now, what the hell do you mean  "don't be surprised if you see me sitting in the audience at the County Music Awards in a year or two or three!!"hmmmm????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you will just have to wait and see if what I'm talking about pans outs!!  I will say that I spent yesterday at 5 Music Row in Nashville with Song Writers!!  It was pretty cool to see how the real writers work!! lol  Stay tuned for more!!

    ReplyDelete